Please note that some restaurants are closed on Monday.
It is recommended that you make reservations.
All times are Ranch-to-restaurant with parking and walking times included.
Some restaurants stop ordering up to a half hour before closing so call to check if you are going late.
Amy's & Rick's Favorites
An Asterisk Means Highly Recommended
*Keei Cafe - south of Kainaliu town about a half mile on the mountain (Mauka) side of the highway. Great food, great sauces. Cash or local check only. The food is always outstanding here. Allow 45 minutes because of traffic. Open until 7pm 322-9992
* Orchid Thai - in the Old Industrial Center on Kaiwi St.The best Thai restaurant. Good prices. 327-9437
* Peaberry and Galette - in the Keauhou Shopping Center. A breakfast/lunch place specializing in crepes...very yummy. 322-6020
* Kona Brewing Company - in the Old Industrial Center on Pawai Place. They have great Veggie pizza and salads. Try their locally-grown spinach salad. They have great Kona beer on tap. One of our favortes. Long waits and reservations only for groups of 10 or more. 334-2739
* Quinn's - across from the King Kamehameha has great fish sandwiches and fish & chips. Great for a light meal. 329-3822
Fish Hopper - Right downtown across from the bay.Traditional. They have come a long way in the lasat few years.
Fosters - South end of Kailua Bay on Alii Drive upstairs. Traditional.
More Upscale and More Pricey Dining
* Pahuia - at Hualalai Resort north of town and about 10 minutes past the airport. Elegant dining, excellent food and elegant prices. Allow 35 minutes. Ask for Carlos for your waiter. 325-8000
* Keei Cafe - south of Kainaliu town about a half mile on the mountain (Mauka) side of the highway. Great food, great sauces. Cash or local check only. The food is always outstanding here. Allow 45 minutes because of traffic. Open until 7pm 322-9992
* Kona Brewing Company - in the Old Industrial Area on the north edge of town at the end of Pawai Place. They have great Veggie pizza and salads. Try their locally-grown spinach salad. They have great Kona beer on tap. One of our favortes. 334-2739
Harbor House - across from the large boat storage yard at Honokohau Harbor. Fresh fish fish sandwich is the best; great fries. Another local/boater place. Sit right on the channel. 326-4166
* Big Island Pizza - above Costco. Starving for a pizza - this is it! Great pizza and great staff. Salads are very fresh with the Greek salad our favorte. Pizza tastes fresh. Try it. 333-8300
Shima-Ichi - Corner of Hualalai Rd and Kuakini. Very good sushi and the best prices. See them on Yelp. 747-0152
Hiyama - below Longs in the Kopiko Shopping Plaza on Palani Rd. Our choice for Japanese. This is where the locals eat Japanese. Very good sushi. 331-8888
* Orchid Thai - in the Old Industrial- the best Thai restaurant. Very good prices. 327-9437
Sam Choy's - In Keahou with spectaclar ocean views. Good food and reasonable prices. 333-3434
Jackie Rey's - on Kukakini Hwy about two miles south of the last traffic light - full meals. Moderatley priced and very good. An atmosphere reminiscent of old Hawaii; reservations accepted 327-0209
Lava-Java - Used to be just coffee and pastry more or less. Now full meals, right on the water.
Merriman's - in Waimea. Excellent food. Portions at least at lunch tend to be small. Allow 45 minutes. 885-6822
Huggos On The Rocks - just north of the Royal Kona, about a mile south of town, and adjacent to Huggos. Great enviroment and view. Same kitchen as Huggos, different menu. 329-1493
*Coffee Shack - between mile 109 and mile 108 markers, about 40 minutes south of Kona on the way to City of Refuge (Kealakekua Bay and Volcano also) has the best fish sandwiches in town on home baked bread and a spectacluar view of Kealakekua, City of Refuge and the adjoining coast. Stop for a sandwich, relax and take in the view. They have other great luncheon dishes. They have great Kona coffee and latte's. This is a don't miss place. 328-9555
Peaberry & Galette - Crepes only and are they good. In the Keauhou shopping center next to Royal Thai Cafe. A little pricey but take it from someone (me) who normally puts a premium on quantitiy - they are superb. Crepes mainly; some sandwiches/salads/pastas/homemade cakes and sweets. Click for Menu 322-6020.
* Killer Tacos - Are you starved for a burrito in the mainland style? This is the only place we know of. It is in the old industrial area on Lihue Street, 3 doors down for the corner. They have whole beans (black) for their very good burritios.
* Poi Dog - don't let the name scare you. Next to Starbucks on Henry St. A hole-in-the-wall sit-down. Great salads and sandwiches. If you are a salad lover try the "Kitchen Sink".
Lilikoi Cafe - in Waimea behind Parker Ranch - small cafe-type with very very good sandwiches and salads.